Thursday, February 03, 2005

Las Vegas Marathon

There is so much to write about related to running the Las Vegas Marathon this past weekend. There is little focus on the marathon in Las Vegas because there is so much else out there. It felt like we were getting everything else in and just happened to have to run a marathon in the desert - it was truly in the desert with wonderful stiff headwinds. My nephew Shawn and I also did Las Vegas in support of Operation Marathon supporting the Victory Junction Gang camp for terminally or chronically ill children. This camp was founded by NASCAR's Kyle Petty and family in memory of his son Adam who died in a practice lap in New Hampshire. We signed up for a package where most of the proceeds went to the camp but we did get to meet Michael Waltrip and Kyle Petty. We also got to attend a benefit concert by Hootie and the Blowfish which also had other NASCAR drivers in attendance like Jeff Gordon and Robbie Gordon. I know marathoning and NASCAR appear to be strange bedfellows but my nephew and I love both and this was a great opportunity. Michael and Kyle ran the marathon and did great. However, the biggest victory was the $1 million dollars raised by Michael for the camp. I am considering running all future marathons for this camp. I will post more about the marathon and weekend on runnersthoughts.com.

No comments: