Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Living Here in Allentown

Maybe the title of Billy Joel's song should be "Running Here in Allentown"! I've run the Runner's World Half Marathon 4 of the last 5 years. It is one of my favorite races. It is not only the race itself and the great organization by the Lehigh Valley Road Runners (LVRR) organization, but there is always a great motivational speaker and wonderful host at the pasta dinner. The host is always Bart Yasso from Runner's world. Bart's love for the running community and humor always brings out the best emotions in the runners. This year, Sarah Reinertsen, one of Runner's World's heros from their December issue was the guest speaker. I won't go into the details but Sarah runs using a mechanical leg and has completed 7 marathons and participated in the Ironman triathalon in Hawaii. With her dream and belief in herself alive, she will be finishing the Ironman in 2005. She also ran the Runner's World Half Marathon this past Sunday. Her themes, as she was discussing her life, were believing and dreaming - to not give up, to keep reaching, keep working. I must admit, I did revisit her words while running the race on Sunday. I need to keep visiting with them as I try to qualify for Boston.

My run was just alright. I never quite dialed into the groove of the course - as beautiful as it is. The race went as my running has been going since January after the Las Vegas Marathon - a bit of a struggle. I rushed the first two miles getting through the crowds, finally settled into my pace and then raced with sporadic splits in the second half of the race. Everything felt a little tight, a little off-kilter, although my legs felt strong for the most part. I finally crossed the line at 1:46:59 about 4 1/2 minutes off my time from the previous year. However, I always look for good news in a race or at least ways to improve. Since I just turned 45, this race and each subsequent race at a new distance is an age-group PR! That's the good news!

The beauty of running is that we all win when we go out and participate in a race. No matter how I run, I truly feel like I have accomplished something. I rarely get that feeling elsewhere. The other winners are the charities that get supported by these races. The Lehigh Valley Road Runners organization has a great charity support program. The supporting community, runners, volunteers, not to mention Runner's World Magazine, give their time, effort and money to make this race one of the best organized, genuine and generous races being staged. One of my favorite activities is the Kids Races. The determination, exhaustion and eventual smiles on their faces upon finishing says it all about the running experience.

Although I might not be "Living in Allentown" anytime soon (although it looks like a nice place to live) I will always be "Running in Allentown" in the Runner's World Half Marathon. I must also say, If ever I could get a job at Runner's World, I'd move! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments on the Runner's World Half-Marathon and your comments on the Lehigh Valley Roadrunners (LVRR). We love "Living here in Allentown" with our fantastic running community. As an LVRR Board member, as well as a Runner's World Race Committe member, I can tell you the LVRR, our 22 member race committee, and our over 600 volunteers main quest is to put on a world-class event for your running enjoyment. We hope you come back next year (bring a few friends) and kick-back here in Allentown!

In the Moment Running said...

I will certainly be back next year and I do bring friends and family. I enticed 3 other people to sign up this year. Thanks to the LVRR for such a great event!