Thursday, November 23, 2006

Brighter Days

If I live till I die, will I be justly rewarded
If I sleep till I wake, will I remember the dream
If I lie to myself, will I have something to believe in
If I face my fears, will I know what they mean

Long for brighter days far behind me
Before my life was just a haze
When love was still inside me

If I find myself, tell me will I lose me to others
If I hang my head, will I feel the spirit of my mother
If I bury my face, will I uncover the truth
If I slow my pace, will the past gain on me

I was wrong to a degree. The JFK 50 Mile was not a matter of life and death. Life itself is a matter of life and death. The JFK 50 mile was a "fun" adventure and a wonderful way to spend 11 hours and 8 minutes. I learned a lot about running 50 miles but I learned more about what comes from running 50 miles. I learned what it means to have friends and family. I learned more about the ultra-running community. When one person falls, five stop to see if they are not injured. I learned about defying age - not mine but others' who are much older. I learned about the intricacies of the physiology of the body before during and after such an event. I also learned that most people, runners and non-runners alike, cannot comprehend running 50 miles. I learned to have a faith in God or I should say a continuing faith in God. I learned that I WANT to run more ultras but also that a truly run marathon is equally rewarding. I learned that life is not just about running. I learned that anyone can "run" 50 miles but a small minutia of people ever will. I learned that there are much harder things in life. I learned that as much as I was alone, I wasn't. I learned that each step forward moves you forward. I learned that it might be harder to crew than to run. I learned that the start is much more exciting than the finish. At the start, the journey lies ahead of you but it lies behind you at the finish and the enjoyment is in the journey. I learned to learn. There is much more and as I continue to reflect, I will continue to share.

No comments: