Saturday, December 31, 2005

One Last Breath

I'm looking down now that it's over
Reflecting on all of my mistakes
I thought I found the road to somewhere
Somewhere in His grace
I cried out heaven save me
But I'm down to one last breath
And with it let me say
Let me say


For the last 13 years I have made it a point to run on the last day of the year and race on the first day of the year.

The last day of the year is a day of reflection so it has to be a slightly longer run. If you can reflect on your year in a 3 mile run, then you need to pack a little more into your year. I ran 11 miles at a moderate pace. The way I felt during the run was much the same of how I felt during the year in running. I had some decent races but poor marathon performances. Mostly my running has been a bit of a struggle physically. The mind is still there but sometimes the mind is a bit overzealous in its thoughts. I do know what I need to do to get better or back to where I was in 2004 which brings me to tomorrow, or the first day of the year. I have run the Hamilton Hangover 5 miler (and various other distances due to weather)on New Year's Day for the last 13 years. This is the race that starts the year in the right direction. What better way to begin a year than with a race? This is where I get to look forward, to feel the hard effort, to think about what I want to accomplish and to think about the adjustments I need to make to achieve.

You cannot rest on your running laurels from years past. Running is humbling and just when you think you have it figured out, it taps you on the shoulder and says, "not so fast! (hah, literally)" Running is truly one of the greatest gifts because you must only use your mind, heart, soul and body. The adjustments must come from one of these. You can't buy a bigger driver, a swifter bike, nor a bat made of space age material. Running is you and the road (or trail) and whatever needs changed, they must come from within.

As I came down to one last breath in 2005, light snow falling onto the decaying leaves of winter, thousands of birds chirping, drowning out the air filling up and escaping from my lungs, I realized that the real reflection was truly looking at myself, what I need to change and what I have learned.

Happy New Year with a healthy and prosperous 2006!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

unless it takes you as long to run three miles as it takes me. lotsa time to reflect on the year. ;)
-ruach